Serbian Police Ban EuroPride March

Serbian Police Ban EuroPride March

September 13, 2022

Citing a risk of clashes with far-right anti-gay activists, Serbia’s police banned a Pride march planned amid pan-European LGBTQ+ events being held this week in Belgrade. Organizers vowed to appeal the ban, according to ABC News.

Pro-Serbian Orthodox Church groups have been marching unstopped for weeks to protest the LGBTQ+ events and had scheduled a new demonstration for the day of the Pride parade. Police did also ban that anti-gay protest.


“After the security assessment, it was determined that there is a high risk the safety of participants in both [marches] on the announced routes will be endangered, as well as the safety of other citizens,” police said in a statement.

Serbia’s president had earlier warned the gay Pride march would be banned.

Organizers of the week-long EuroPride, the largest annual Pride event in Europe, said they hoped their legal appeal will be accepted and that they would hold the festivities as planned. “Belgrade Pride will use all available means to overturn this decision,” their statement said.

After the announcement, activists booed and jeered Serbian Prime Minister Ana Brnabic, who is openly lesbian but has been accused by the Serbian gay community of doing nothing to improve their status. She attended a human rights conference that was a part of the weeklong LGBTQ+ events.

The Council of Europe, Europe's top human rights body, commissioner said Serbian authorities should withdraw the ban on the march and protect participants.

“It is highly regrettable that the Serbian authorities have decided to ban the EuroPride march scheduled for 17 September,” Dunja Mijatovic, the commissioner, said in a statement. "Weeks of uncertainty concerning the holding of this march have sent a wrong message to the public and made space for hateful rhetoric and more threats against LGBTI people, including from religious leaders”.

Several EU officials have said they will join the LGBTQ+ events, while those calling on the Serbian government to reverse the previously heralded ban included US Secretary of State Antony Blinken.


Read related myGwork articles here:

Thousands Protest Against LGBTQ+ Rights As President Tries To Cancel EuroPride

Serbia Orthodox Church Supports EuroPride Ban

Serbia Cancels EuroPride Citing Anti-LGBTQ+ Threats


Keep up to date with the latest myGnews

Sign up to myGwork

________

LGBTQ+ professionals, LGBTQ+ Graduates, LGBTQ+ professional network, LGBTQ+ professional events, LGBTQ+ networking events, LGBTQ+ Recruitment, LGBTQ+ Friendly organizations, LGBTQ+ Friendly companies, LGBTQ+ jobs


You may also be interested in...

View All News